Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 7, 2021

FOOTBALL'S TWILIGHT ZONES: LORD HOWE ISLAND

Life on an island can be difficult, especially on those which are more isolated than most. They are hard places to get to and travel costs are often ridiculously high, as is the cost of living. Think of places such as Saint Helena, which has the most expensive internet service anywhere in the world, and Tristan da Cunha, the most remote permanently-inhabited island on Earth. Many of the world's most isolated islands host tiny populations. 

Another tiny island with an equally tiny population, but one which is rather less isolated, is Australia's Lord Howe Island, part of New South Wales and situated some 420 nautical miles north-east of Sydney. Using the data from the last Australian census, dated 2016, it is home to just 382 people. The island is tiny, just over five and a half square miles in area, but is renowned for its pristine beaches and having the world's most southerly barrier coral reef. It is also an UNESCO World Heritage Site, a place with a varied landscape and one which is predominately covered in pristine forest. Small is indeed beautiful in Lord Howe Island's case.

The island was seemingly unknown to the inhabitants of Australasia, Aboriginal and Polynesians alike, before it was discovered in February 1788 by Henry Lidgbird Small, commander of the British vessel HMS Supply, who came across it whilst on the way to Norfolk Island with a cargo of prisoners to found a penal colony there. Lord Howe Island was finally permanently settled only in 1834 and became part of New South Wales in 1855.

Tourism is the principal industry on Lord Howe Island and in order to protect the island's environment, only 400 visitors are allowed on the island at any one time. in spite of the island's size, there is plenty for them - and the locals - to see and do. Peter Adams, CEO of the Lord Howe Island Board, which governs the island at a local level, explained that even the small number of children domiciled on the island have plenty to keep themselves occupied sports-wise, both in the water, obviously, and on dry land.

"There is a Bowling Club and a Golf Club, which has a juniors programme, and they even play in the annual pro-am tournament here. The Bowling club has regular competitions. There is an annual week-long bowls competition, and some of the teenagers form teams and compete with local and visiting bowlers.

"Most young people [visitors included] surf, snorkel, dive (free and scuba), kayak and fish as well as go bushwalking, etc. [For the island's young swimmers,] there is a Nippers Club with a strong membership learning ocean swimming, safety and rescue skills. A couple of swimming coaches usually visit the island each year and run classes in the beautiful lagoon, which are very popular. There is [also] a fishing club, and young people often go game fishing as well and [enter fishing competitions]."

Lord Howe Island also has a tennis club, which hosts an annual clinic held by a visiting coach. A couple of the locals paraglide and kite-surf. Adams adds: "There is a sports field with combination soccer and Rugby League posts. [There is] an artificial cricket pitch within the field. An annual Discovery Day sports carnival takes place [every 17th of February] to celebrate the discovery of Lord Howe Island. It is typically held in the evening and is preceded by a traditional island fish-fry. A crane is set up to light up the sports field. [The sports carnival] runs late and is often held on a week-night. Running races, bike-balance competitions, sack-races, relays and barrel-rolling races are just some of the events which take place."

In spite of the range of activities on offer, team sports aren't really an option on the island, bowls excluded, perhaps, as Adams admits. "There is not a lot of organised sport on the island. There are very small numbers of children here, and therefore regular team sport is not feasible. There is no football or rugby league competition. There is a weekly touch [rugby] game that is informal rather than any scheduled competition."

Rugby has been played on Lord Howe Island for decades, and the island does have its own rugby league team, the Lord Howe Island Woodhens, which competes in tournaments abroad on an irregular basis. Meanwhile, football has scarcely made any sort of a mark on Lord Howe Island. Apart from the very occasional kickabout, football of sorts was played after school from time to time, involving most of the school-age children - plus those from the island's play school - and their parents, though even these after-school kickabouts seem to have fallen by the wayside over the past few years. 

The island's sports ground's dual-purpose goalposts, used for football or rugby matches, are where the influence of the round ball game on the island currently begins and ends. Lord Howe Island is a stunning location, by all accounts, with a lot to see and do, in - and on - the water and on dry land. You probably won't need to bring your football boots and shinpads with you, though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AUTHOR'S NOTE:  Many thanks to Peter Adams, CEO of the Lord Howe Island Board, for his assistance with the above article. Other information was obtained via the www.lordhoweisland.info website and Wikipedia.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks , I have just been looking for info about this topic for ages and yours is the best I have discovered so far. But, what about the bottom line? Are you sure about the source? wolves on tv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CRYPTOCURRENCY INVESTMENT πŸ“ŠπŸ“ŠπŸ“ŠπŸ“ŠπŸ“ŠπŸ“ŠπŸ“ŠπŸ“Š

      Hello , Investment is one of the best ways to achieve financial freedom. For a beginner there are so many challenges you face. It’s hard to know how to get started. Trading on the Cryptocurrency market has really been a life changer for me. I almost gave up on crypto currency at some point not until I got a proficient trader Bernie Doran, he gave me all the information required to succeed in trading. I made more profit than I could ever imagine. I’m not here to converse much but to share my testimony, I invested $2000.00 and got back $20,500.00 within 7 days of investment. His strategies and signals are the best and I have gained more knowledge. If you are new to cryptocurrency I would recommend you contact him through Gmail : BERNIEDORANSIGNALS@GMAIL.COM or his WhatsApp : +1424(285)-0682 , tell him I referred youπŸ“ŠπŸ“ŠπŸ“ŠπŸ“ŠπŸ“Š
      ✅✅✅✅✅✅✅
      πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
      ✍🏻✍🏻✍🏻✍🏻✍🏻✍🏻✍🏻✍🏻
      πŸ’―πŸ’―πŸ’―πŸ’―πŸ’―πŸ’―πŸ’―πŸ’―

      Delete
  2. Am short of words for the amazing profit you helped me earn in just a week with binary options strategy am so sorry I doubted at the beginning, I invested $200 and earn $2,500 in just one week, and kept on investing more, today I am financially successful, you can contact him via Email: (tdameritrade077@gmail.com) whatsapp(+447883246472) I advice you shouldn't hesitate. He's great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. <<<Investment is one of the best ways to achieve financial freedom. For a beginner there are so many challenges you face. It’s hard to know how to get started. Trading the Crypto market has really been a life changer for me. I almost gave up on crypto currency at some point not until I got a proficient trader Bernie Doran, he gave me all the information required to succeed in trading. I made more profit than I could ever imagine. I’m not here to converse much but to share my testimony, I invested $2000.00 and got back $21,500.00 within 5 days of investment. His strategies and signals are the best and I have gained more knowledge.
    If you are new to cryptocurrency. You can reach to him on Telegram: @BERNIE_FX
    Or through Email : Bernie.doranfx01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete


  4. I’m so glad that I have gotten all my funds back without any stress thanks to Century recovery team. For me, am posting this review because I want to be of help to someone out there going through a lot to recover their bitcoin even though many people told me it’s impossible. I invested about $132,000 from a Binary Operation company I found on Telegram. After much depositing, I decided to withdraw after several weeks but the withdrawal wasn’t successful. I contacted the binary operation through their email and phone number, though I didn’t get any response from them and that was when everything clicked that I was scammed. Some weeks later I got a mail from them insisting I should invest more money if I want to withdraw my money which I rejected, and I never heard from them again. I was really devastated at this moment and felt so bad that my hard earned money was gone. Then I was introduced to this wonderful recovery team Called Century Hacker by my church lead choir so I emailed them century@cyberservices.com '' explained to him what happened and all I had to do was to follow his instructions so he can help me recover my funds which he did and i got all my money back i am so happy i decided to share my good news for those that are having same issues should contact him via century@cyberservices.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The best recovery team to assist you in reclaiming your money from these nefarious individuals is TREK Tech Corp. A few months ago, a man online got in touch with me and told me about a bitcoin investing platform that promised large returns. I put $98,000 into this platform before being asked to put in more money without being allowed to withdraw from the previous investment. My money was being stolen, and I knew it. They stopped returning my calls and messages since my money was gone. Thank goodness, a buddy of mine informed me about TREK Tech Corp and how they could help me get my money back that had been stolen. After contacting them, my money was returned to me in less than 48 hours. TREK Tech Corp, I sincerely appreciate your assistance. Align with them at any of the links below for more details: Email: trektechcorp1@gmail.com or trektechcorp@consultant.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. MR MORRIS GRAY IS THE ONLY REAL AND TRUSTED RECOVERY EXPERT

    I have a strong interest in this subject due to my prior experiences, which have increased my understanding of it. Had I had this information earlier, I would not have fallen victim to scams to the extent that I did, In my quest to earn enough money to retire early, I lost a lot of money to several investing platforms. I was clueless about how to restart after losing everything. Fortunately, I was directed to Morris Gray A Legitimate DIGITAL ASSETS RECOVERY AGENT by a friend. I was able to contact Him on: MORRIS GRAY 380

    ReplyDelete
  7. MORRIS GRAY 380 @ GMAIL COM, and they helped me recover my lost 13.6 BTC and introduced me to reliable investment platforms that are currently helping me realize my ambition of retiring early. Given how crucial this is, I hope it will assist someone who is in need of such services, you can reach out to him on, Whats App: + 1 607 698 0239 & Email: @ MorrisGray380 @ Gmail, Com…

    ReplyDelete